Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences, and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers who have had an impact on contemporary life and on different periods and cultures.
Art develops spiritual values and contributes a wider understanding to the experience of life, which helps to build a balanced personality.
Bridget Riley (painter)
The aims of our geography teaching are to enable children to:
- to enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- to develop creativity and imagination through a range of activities;
- to improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- to increase their critical awareness of the purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- to develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- to foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts, and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.